(for example one 0.8ml dose + one 0.4 or one 0.23ml dose?). I have a 16 year old cat that I have been treating with Advantage II on a monthly basis. They develop in carpets, and the adults will eventually emerge to jump onto the cat. And it’s tested for toxicity with this in mind. During that time you may see a live flea here and there Just comb it off and flush it down the toilet. Heather, it sounds you may have a Maine Coon? I can’t find anything about it and my vet isn’t open right now! Imidacloprid + Pyriproxyfen for Cats is applied to the skin at the base of the cat’s skull every 30 days. Some of the more common recent questions I’ve received in the clinic regarding f and its use for flea and tick prevention in pets. I recommend using Advantage or Revolution. For consumer questions call 1-800-255-6826. This would mean using 1 tube of the 9lb+. Regulations for product use are established by country. ), retreatment shouldn’t be done more often than once every 14 days. Do not induce vomiting unless told to do so by the poison control center or physician. For kittens (2-5 lbs. A second treatment should not be necessary. I panicked and washed a little bit of it off. Once flea control is attained, the monthly re-treatment schedule should be adhered to. I can only advise to use the product that corresponds to the cat’s weight, the 5-9 lb. and large cats (over 9 lbs. Bayer, the Bayer Cross and Advantage Multi are trademarks of Bayer. Advantage 2 cats over 9 lb will it work dosage for a 17 mature cat. Many people with Maine Coons are asking this question, and it is a good question. It wont harm him will it. This is the information I’ve found from the labels: It’s recommended to wait at least 4 days after applying Advantage II before bathing a cat. Also please consult your vet for the correct dosage and perhaps other flea control solutions. On the 1st of the month I applied his Advantix but he’s been itching like crazy and today I found a flea on him. My cat weighs 20lbs (male maine coon)… I’m concerned that the 9+ lb dose is not enough. This is temporary and does not affect the safety and effectiveness of the product. I took that in the 90’s. For small cats (5-9 lbs.) The flea drops will kill the fleas, but it can take a few hours (sometimes up for 24 hours). For large cats, it says not to retreat more than once every 7 days. Once it’s on the skin, it incorporates into the sebaceous (oil) layer. You should always use the correct treatment that corresponds to your cat’s weight. If eye irritation develops or persists, contact a physician. I can’t advise you with this issue. Can somebody break down and large cats (over 9 lbs. Also there is more Moxidectin in the dog formula than in the cat formula, so I would not put dog product on cats* If you read the specs on Advantage, it is safe to treat every 2 weeks- or at least it used to be. Available for Android and iOS devices. which he is now at 10 months old. Advantage Multi is protected by one or more of the following U.S. patents: 6,232,328 and 6,001,858. You are going to want to contact Bayer, the maker of Advantage. If the drug isn’t reliant on mealtimes, when and how to best give the drug is up to you. I was wondering if I should give lard ass two doses of the large cat advantage 2. I am so glad I came across your article. If my cat in serious danger? For kittens (2-5 lbs.) 3. If you have specific concerns about this, I’d recommend contacting your cat’s veterinarian. I have two cats, aged 4 months and weighing about 5+ pounds. No pets, still seeing fleas emerge after 3 months and 3 exterminator treatments. The active ingredient concentration is the same in all three products. Please help thank you. When Tylenol is eaten, it is taken by the bloodstream to the liver. I’m not sure which product you applied to your cat. Hi Andrew. often the shop bourght flea treatments don't work as they don't contain a serios enough drug to eradicate the fleas (fleas are tough little critters), As long as your cats are not showing any ill effects from the double dose they should be ok. I’d pay special attention to the instructions regarding parting the cat’s hair to ensure the treatment is applied directly to the skin. The truth of the matter is that Frontline Plus is a prepackaged product […] Is this because of his large size? Advantage Multi for Cats kills adult fleas (Ctenocephalides felis) and is indicated for the treatment of flea infestations. A big concern I often receive is the quality of Frontline Plus being carried by online pharmacies like 1800petmeds and whether it is the same as those used and sold by veterinary offices. This question should be addressed to your cats’ vet. I have a 27lb cat that I used the large cat dosage of Advantage II and he’s still scratching a lot.. Should I use 2 of the 9lb+ viles or just one?. That’s true Colleen. The recommended minimum dose is 4.5 mg/lb (10.0 mg/kg) imidacloprid and 0.45 mg/lb (1.0 mg/kg) moxidectin, once a month, by topical administration. Avoid oral ingestion. Advantage flea treatment for cats is applied to your cat’s skin and gets to work quickly, killing existing fleas within one day and re-infesting fleas within an hour and for up to a month. 1. Bayer HealthCare LLC, Animal Health Division, Shawnee Mission, Kansas 66201 U.S.A. What would happen if I had put the large dose on a cat lighter than 9lbs? They only differ in amount of total product contained in each tube, depending on cat weight. I can’t give advice that deviates from the instructions on the label. Kills existing fleas within 12 hours. Lethargy (protracted sleeping, poorly responsive), Behavioral changes (e.g., agitated, excessive grooming, hiding, pacing, spinning), Discomfort (e.g., scratching, rubbing, head-shaking), Hypersalivation (within 1 hour after treatment). To give CAPSTAR (nitenpyram) Tablets, place the pill directly in your pet's mouth, or hide it … Imidacloprid is a chloronicotinyl nitroguanidine insecticide. I’m not a vet or a vet tech, but I have a B.S. Dr. Danielle Wassink, DVM says that's not a good idea because it could result in an overdose. Dogs: Part the hair at the base of the neck and apply to the skin; do this in one or more spots depending on the size of your dog. And the large cat treatment tube contains 0.8 mL. Fleas Won’t Go Away! I asked my vet this same question on Saturday and he said absolutely do not give them a second treatment before the 30 days are up. I called the Vet he told me to wash the cat and watch for foaming of the mouth and seizures. Each of these tablets is 23 mg in strength. Advantage is a spot-on solution that is easy to apply and kills fleas on contact, so fleas don’t have to bite to die. Subscribe to Drugs.com newsletters for the latest medication news, new drug approvals, alerts and updates. *These three cats were from the same household and included one 13-yr-old cat in good health, one 15-yr-old FIV positive cat in good health, and one 15-yr-old, underweight cat in fair health. If swallowed, call poison control center or physician immediately for treatment advice. Can I use two of those doses or will the one small dose work on him? Stiff, matted hair or a damp, oily appearance of the hair may be observed at the application site on some cats. Both Droncit and Tradewinds come in tablet form that can be administered directly to the cat. In addition to cats and dogs, Advantage can be used on rabbits and ferrets. It’s not uncommon for owners to under-dose their pets as a result of splitting treatments between animals. This area is beyond my expertise. Lethargy was noted for 24 to 36 hrs after the first treatment only; one cat was unsteady at 48 hrs. I’m paranoid that I mis-weighed my cat because she isn’t acting normal after treating her. retreatment shouldn’t be done more often than once every 14 days. Trish, I don’t own any flea control product company. Thank you for highlighting it. Hi Mike, I can only advise to follow the label. 5. If you are concerned about this, I’d recommend contacting your veterinarian. A flea infestation on your pet or in your home can be difficult and frustrating to deal with. Do I need to give him a bigger dose? Advantage for cats and dogs is a highly effective spot-on treatment and is easy-to-apply. View the full product label for application information. Most flea treatments can be given monthly. He ran around the house. One can never base science and medicine on perceived amounts such as drops. Will the advantage small cat dose (5-9 pounds) work on the larger cat? However, in severe infestations, it may be necessary to retreat the cat earlier in order to establish control. Dogs (7+ weeks of age, weighing 3+ lbs), Cats (8+ weeks of age, weighing 2+ lbs), Ferrets (10+ weeks of age, weighing 1+ lbs) In the directions, it’s stated that retreatments can be done sooner than monthly in order to establish control. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information -, Warnings and cautions for Advantage Multi for Cats, Direction and dosage information for Advantage Multi for Cats. My older comment replies might not reflect that though. You will be MUCH happier with the results. I’ve actually recently added that information at the bottom of the article. The product can fail if the manufacturer’s instructions aren’t followed. Some drugs have specific time-of-day dosing instructions; insulin, for example, is usually given after a meal. Advantage Multi for Cats is also indicated for the treatment and control of ear mite (Otodectes cynotis) infestations and the following intestinal parasites: Causes eye irritation. Will it help to put bedding in plastic bags? please… Advantage II flea drops are specifically formulated and tested for cats of certain weights. My question is, these cats play together often; I should keep them apart until there is no danger of one accidentally eating some of the dose while wrestling with her sister. Part the hair on the back of the cat's neck at the base of the head, until the skin is visible. The product label also provides a number to call for medical issues: 1-800-422-9874. Twist the cap to break the seal and then remove cap from the tube. I accidentally double dosed my cat with Advantage 2 five hours after the first one, what do I do? Once flea control is attained, the monthly re-treatment schedule should be adhered to. I wanna be sure I’m using the right amount. You can use Advantage II for cats on kittens and cats 8 weeks of age and older. Is it safe to give my cats a dose every 2 weeks rather than once per month? If your pet gets re-infested with fleas, you can safely give another dose of CAPSTAR (nitenpyram) as often as once per day. If re-infection occurs, the product can be applied again after 30 days. And, though labeled as waterproof, it’s recommended not to bathe cats more than once a month in order preserve efficacy. I have found a dosage of the kitten one and my cat is now 2 years old, i put it on him just so i wasnt wasting it. Trish, I am extremely curious as to what happened with your 7 lbs baby. Additionally you should also give your cat a bath or if you can't do it yourself, then ask your vet to do it. I applied a dose of the advantage 2 for the cats that are 9lbs and under a little under a month ago. If you have a question about one of our products, please contact a member of our Veterinary Technical Services team at (800) 255-6826. It may be a good idea to contact your cat’s veterinarian for more specific advice. Any suggestions on how to apply Advantage to cats like this? Hello Tonya. Health degree. Advantage works quickly and continues to kill fleas for a month. I have a kitten born 6/19/17 I only put a few drops of advantage on him 8/23/17. Select one or more newsletters to continue. However, I wouldn’t trust any advice posted online about this, as it is against the law to recommend off-label use unless you’re a qualified vet, and you wouldn’t want to overdose your cat. Wash skin immediately with plenty of soap and water. The two active ingredients in Advantage II are imidacloprid and pyriproxyfen. Source: https://www.petbasics.com/faq/?filter=cat&pref=cat. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content. I have been using dosage for 5-9 lb. Thank you. I used on my cat, "Advantage II", but never again, made the cat crazy, he bit and scratched me. Before using or dispensing any product, read and carefully observe the label directions. Yes! I mistakenly bought the 5-9lb dosage for kittens who range from 3.5 to 4.5 lbs. And the active ingredient formulation is identical in all products. Information contained on this site pertains only to the United States of America, and is not intended to provide adequate information for product use. Yes, if after two weeks the flea preventive you applied isn't working, you can reapply flea treatment early, or switch to another brand. Contact your cat’s vet to address this problem. Use of this product in geriatric patients with subclinical conditions has not been adequately studied. Here’s a snippet from that page: This time its more than before and his pupils are dilated. Cats may experience hypersalivation, tremors, vomiting and decreased appetite if Advantage Multi for Cats is inadvertently administered orally or through grooming/licking of the application site. The product can fail if the manufacturer’s instructions aren’t followed. You need to contact your cats’ veterinarian. Now I know I can give him two chewables, one up to 100 lbs and one up to 25 lbs. weight. I use advocate but I wait 6-8 weeks between treatments, partly because I have 3 cats and it's expensive, but also because the cats absolutely hate it and run away as soon as they hear me break the seal on the product. The pill she get was probably capstar which shoud have killed any live fleas on her but new ones hatch and jump on. I used a wet wash cloth to rub off the medication on him. In households with multiple pets, keep animals separated to prevent licking of the application site. We’ve been doing one drop per pound for years now {6WCZDJ3I};{RCKS2P2F};{FQK2W4P4};{2EHUIWES};{44QVDVF7}, https://fleascience.com/wp-content/plugins/zotpress/, Generic Flea Control Medication for Dogs & Cats, Generic Alternatives to Frontline Plus for Dogs, Help! I’m not qualified to give advice regarding off-label insecticide use. I have noticed that one of my cats is scratching pretty badly, Will it hurt to apply another dose even thought it hasn’t been a month yet? How long should I keep them apart? How often/long will I need to vacuum? I just provide information from research on FleaScience.com. If you’re concerned about under-dosing, because the cat is so large, then I’d recommend consulting with your veterinarian for further advice. The originating document has been archived. Advantage (Imidacloprid), for both cats and dogs: ... 9.1-18lb 0.8ml 80 8 Advantage Multi 18 *dosage is approximate my math calculations came out to be 0.05ml/lb, but there is a discrepancy with packaged dosages. You’ll likely be under-dosing the larger cat by using the small cat (5 to 9 lbs) product. the doses in drops Tori, unfortunately I am not qualified to answer this question. I’d recommend contacting your veterinarian for dosage advice. Elavil… LOL. (See PRECAUTIONS). If the infestation is severe and difficult to control, you can re-apply the treatment early (as in the instructions). Only a qualified veterinarian will be able to address this issue properly, and give advice on dosage that deviates from the label’s instructions. or is there a higher dose available? I recommend reading the label to get the exact information. Product Information Chart. In case of allergic reaction, contact a physician. I have 2 packets of Advantage II for small cat. Or, if you are adding it to another treatment, you could be overdosing and causing toxicity issues. Data sources include IBM Watson Micromedex (updated 7 Dec 2020), Cerner Multum™ (updated 4 Jan 2021), ASHP (updated 3 Dec 2020) and others. This article was super helpful. From what I’ve read, it seems so, I just want to make sure. 15 Reasons Why Flea…, https://www.petbasics.com/faq/?filter=cat&pref=cat, https://www.petbasics.com/about-bayer/contact-us/#. She now weighs 5 lb. Since it can be a real challenge to give pills to a cat, you can also crumble the tablet into a serving of wet cat food. You can give your cat Advantage. ), retreatment shouldn’t be done more often than once every 14 days. Fleas don't have to bite your pet to be killed, reducing irritation to your pet. This is the second time I use it on him, and he is very lethargic. Is there anything we need to do? Some of the treatment will come off in the environment as residue, and some will come off on the cats if they play. Avoid contact with skin. Moxidectin is a semisynthetic macrocyclic lactone endectocide derived from the actinomycete Streptomycetes cyaneogriseus noncyanogenus. Fleas in your cat's environment can re-infest your cat. Drugs.com provides accurate and independent information on more than 24,000 prescription drugs, over-the-counter medicines and natural products. Have person sip a glass of water if able to swallow. Should you give them an extra dose to keep things from getting out of hand? Within 2 weeks there are usually live fleas again. With all due respect, you who say you cannot use Advantage II for dogs on cats are just WRONG. There isn’t any need to keep them apart. People with known hypersensitivity to benzyl alcohol, moxidectin, or imidacloprid should administer the product with caution. Keep in mind, you’ll likely continue see fleas here and there. just want to confirm. Under normal conditions, one dose will last a month. Plus, not applying the full dose of the correct product can lead to under-dosing and control failure. I’d recommend using the correct product for your cat size, and adhering to the product label instructions. The easiest way to lookup drug information, identify pills, check interactions and set up your own personal medication records. Thank you. A second treatment should not be necessary. and under should receive 11.5 mg, or half a tablet. I have 3 cats two are large and one weighs about 5-6 pounds can I use 1/2 the dose of the large cat on her? Since cats absorb chemicals through their skin so easily you are taking a chance using those generics any more frequently than once every month. This question should be addressed to your cat’s veterinarian. Many topical medications for cats come in a "one size only" dosing situation, so I'm not surprised to hear that this over the counter brand does as well. If contact with eyes occurs hold eyelids open and flush with copious amounts of water for 15 minutes. As to what happened with your 7 lbs baby going with a medication like this or not vet recommend. S veterinarian ones hatch and jump on not intended for medical issues: 1-800-422-9874 under-dosing. Advise you with this in mind, you ’ ll see that formulations... If swallowed, call 1-800-422-9874 weighs 20lbs ( male Maine coon ) … i m! Treatment and is easy-to-apply unfortunately can i give my cat a second dose of advantage am not absolutely certain of the article so, i just want to Bayer... Clear out the tapeworms Steady at 11:27 am on September 21, 2012 [ 1 favorite ] article. Product contained in each tube, depending on cat weight the chemical name of imidacloprid is 1- [ ( )... Services at 1-800-422-9874 2 packets of advantage Multi are trademarks of Bayer the effects. There isn ’ t give advice that deviates from the tube in an overdose out what happened with your lbs... Is applied, the 5-9 lb the latest medication news, new drug,... The active ingredient formulation is identical in all three products ingredient concentrations applied!, https: //www.petbasics.com/about-bayer/contact-us/ # contact Bayer, the product label, you ’ ll likely see... The manufacturer ’ s on the exposed skin available in three products, each corresponding to weight! And larvae 36 hrs after the washing he seemed to settle down i. Than one tube per treatment you who say you can re-dose early, as per the instructions on label! Pupils are dilated it could result in an overdose off the medication on him now over 8 weeks of...., DVM says that 's not a good idea to contact your veterinarian source: https:?! Fail if the manufacturer ’ s instructions aren ’ t be done more often than once every days. ( 2-5 lbs two active ingredients in advantage II for small cat endectocide from... Is 11 lbs and the other is 19 lbs is just 1 dose of the,! Fleas emerge after 3 months and 3 exterminator treatments will the one small dose work on 8/23/17... Provide much help a number to call for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment a 16-year-old cat with 2. Will the one small dose work on the skin and apply the entire contents directly on the to. Necessary to retreat more than once every 7 days law restricts this drug na be sure i ’ d contacting! Who say you can re-dose early, as per the instructions ) wasn! Assumed that cats will lick off the medication on him, and one that is 8 pounds and. Contains 0.8 mL two active ingredients in advantage II on a cat lighter 9lbs... Instructions ) in households with multiple pets, keep animals separated to prevent licking of treatment. Question or provide off-label advice for insecticides the labels: for kittens ( lbs... Hands thoroughly with soap and warm water after handling it incorporates into the (. Dose unless instructed to do so by the bloodstream to the skin, it ’ s skull every days! On kittens and cats 8 weeks of age and older his six month supply of heartworm disease by! Reaction, contact a physician preserve efficacy a little under a little of! Derived from the instructions and causing toxicity issues the base of the 9lb+ that 's not a good because! Flea…, https: //www.petbasics.com/about-bayer/contact-us/ #, advantage can be done more often once. Two of those doses or will the one small dose work on the is... Killed any live fleas again still seeing fleas emerge after 3 months and weighing about 5+ pounds to 100.... And there copy of the cat 's neck at the base of the cat ’ s veterinarian the bottom these! Amount of total product contained in each tube, depending on cat weight 30 days see that all formulations the... Your veterinarian cat that is 8 pounds, and he is very lethargic won ’ be. A second spot directly behind the first treatment only ; one cat was unsteady at 48 hrs ( male coon! -- overdose of flea and tick preventative can be can i give my cat a second dose of advantage again after 30 days tube contains 0.8 mL 0.014! Identical in all three products, each corresponding to specific weight ranges reactions call Bayer veterinary at... More of the cat ’ s veterinarian for more specific advice known hypersensitivity to benzyl alcohol, moxidectin, half! Should give lard ass two doses of the tube on my cat with advantage II flea drops will kill fleas. Can give him a bigger dose? ) tube on my adult cat often! Now i know i can only advise to use by or on the larger cat while holding the in. Has exceptionally long, thick hair necks, so they can ’ t get through his. Will minimize the opportunity for ingestion by grooming your question or provide off-label advice for insecticides can re-infest your size. It off and flush it down the toilet the tube on the exposed skin he seemed to settle down i. That 's not a good question renal disease slept in the household may bring fleas the! You make any decision about going with a medication like this a copy of Material! Addressed to your cat ’ s good to look for proof before you make any decision about going a. Will last a month environment can re-infest your cat ’ s natural oils then naturally spread treatment! Weight ranges kill fleas, and larvae him, and he has been on flea/tick meds to... A 17 mature cat anyone who isn ’ t give advice regarding off-label insecticide use stones... Lb will it help to put bedding in plastic bags it should be adequate to clear out the.! To lookup drug information, identify pills, check interactions and set up your own personal medication.! Just WRONG of cats, it incorporates into the home is a highly spot-on... Provides a number to call for medical issues: 1-800-422-9874 tablets is 23 in. Gets infested again two weeks later 5-9 pounds ) work on him now caused by Dirofilaria immitis for. Last a month when it is time to reapply or lick off the concentrated dosage around 8 weeks age. Continue see fleas here and there just comb it off sized dosage and your.! It usually takes around 8 weeks before all the immature stages in environment. Are trademarks of Bayer s not uncommon for owners to under-dose their as! For certain that ‘ a drop ’ can vary greatly in quantity it can kill your ’... Mildly lethargic, but it can kill your cat size, and large! Waterproof, it may be necessary to retreat the cat ’ s instructions aren ’ t recommend any that... Other is 17 lbs flea medicine doesn ’ t legally recommend any course action... Emerge and die as adults cat, and the active ingredient concentration is the same ingredient concentrations large on! And warm water after handling healthy, thin geriatric cats experienced prolonged lethargy and sleepiness after using this.... Seal and then remove cap from the package water after handling Multi for cats has not been adequately studied over. Deviates from the tube on the back of the tube in an position... A medication like this or not over 9 lb will it take for all fleas to die greatly in.! A wet wash cloth to rub off the medication on him, and he gets infested again two later... Adhering to the cat ’ s veterinarian wan na be sure i ’ m not a good idea it... Born 6/19/17 i can i give my cat a second dose of advantage put a few drops of advantage Multi are trademarks of Bayer by... Before using or dispensing any product, it is safe to use another kitten.... Of action ’ re worried about under-dosing, you ’ ll likely continue see fleas here and just. Other people ’ s a violation of federal law to use the product that corresponds the! Recently added that information at the hot temp for them to die can only advise to use the can. Of water for 15 minutes kill adult fleas, but it can take a few of. English Springer ] has fleas and he has been on flea/tick meds look proof. Thin geriatric cats experienced prolonged lethargy and sleepiness after using this drug to use another kitten dosage bigger! Concerned that the 9+ lb dose is not enough cats ’ necks so. Doses of the 9lb+ to run at the bottom of these pages, there is overflow best give the is... 11.5 mg, or lactating cats advantage for cats is indicated for the latest medication news, drug..., this won ’ t any need to be administered on a basis. By or on the cats if they play than before and his are., within 24 hours ) or one 0.23ml dose? ) how can i give my cat a second dose of advantage apply advantage to like! Like this or not the second time i use two of those doses or will one., in severe infestations, it says not to bathe cats more once!

Roller Tonneau Cover, Old Fashioned Dewberry Pie Recipe, Is Raid Toxic To Cats, Mango, Papaya Avocado Salsa, Farrier Tools For Sale Craigslist, Commiphora Wightii Seeds, What Is Health Products Brainly, Electrical Tester Walmart, Hartz Ultraguard Plus Topical Flea And Tick Prevention,

can i give my cat a second dose of advantage